Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reaction: Effectively Communicating Numbers - Selecting the Best Means and Manner of Display

This article gave advice and strategies on how to effectively display data in a number of different ways, most geared towards a business setting. It was good to see the information laid out in a systematic way, but a lot of what the article talked about seemed to be common sense, but that might just be me. I would never have thought to try to a use a line chart when displaying nominal data because it would have just seemed inherently inappropriate. Most of the tips in the paper rang true to me, but also would have seemed odd if I'd been asked to make a graph with them.

I did find the step-by-step plan proposed in the paper to be slightly at odds with the "The Value of Information Visualization" paper because it suggested forming a clear idea of what you were trying to convey before choosing how to convey the data. I think this could be because this paper was focusing on conveying data statically in a 2-d setting, as opposed to interactively. I was wondering what aspects from this paper would be directly applicable to creating information visualizations?

0 comments: