Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reaction: A Survey of Algorithms for Volume Visualization

It was interesting to read this article because I had just finished the "Marching Cubes" article, so it was good to see where that algorithm stands in comparison to some of the other algorithms. I also found it useful as an introduction to the problems in volume visualizations and some of the approaches. I do wish that there had been more pictures and examples of what they were talking about because at some points it seemed a little technical and I had a difficult time following. I was interested to see how things had changed since this article was published because it is about 20 years old.

One question that kept nagging at me as I was reading this article was how interesting it was that there was all this effort being put into visualizing data, instead of working with the data to diagnose issues. What I mean is, this technology is used, I would think, so that doctors and/or scientists can look at objects in a more sterilized environment or possible see portions that they would not be able to see through direct study. But I kept on wondering why they didn't try to code what the doctors were looking for. I know that's probably not possible because of the complexity and difficulty in doing so, but I thought it was interesting.

0 comments: