Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Over Two Decades of Intergration Based Geometric Flow Visualization

Flow visualization for large, time dependent, simulation data sets that have a lot of co-relating variables. The seeding algorithm is the basic factor that governs the effectiveness of the flow visualization. I think flow visualization gives a more continuous picture which gives the need for a large set of data points to plot. This would surely make collecting and visualizing such data challenging. After giving an exhaustive classification of algorithms in use currently, the authors mention that one of the areas that needs more work are interactive visualizations for unsteady flow fields. Actually, I did find some relevant material online...

A Visualization and analysis platform: http://www.vapor.ucar.edu/gallery/index.phpid=general
(They have a very interesting movie gallery!)

I find the concept of flow visualization very interesting. I can especially see its application in turbomachinery design, especially to visualize flow of say water in a turbine in a hydro electric power plant or the movement inside a nuclear reactor. What would be really interesting would be to see the flow visualization of the Large Hadron Collider!

0 comments: