Saturday, November 19, 2011

Reaction: TileBars: Visualization of Term Distribution Information in Full Text Information Access

This is very old paper, again from Marti Hearst which focuses mainly on introducing a new visualization paradigm called TileBars. The paper starts with a taxonomy of few terms involved in visualization of full length text article then it is followed by listing out the problems faced in similarity search, ranking problem and how abstract search can sometimes be misleading.

The paper then focuses on the main theme of the paper i.e. TileBars and next few sections describe how they can facilitate in searching of terms in full length text. 

I also noticed few important cues to visualizing the TileBars like - 
  • variation in position, size value or texture, imposes an order which is universal and immediately perceptible. I agree to this point completely because if you just vary one of these parameter it wont have the same visual impact as the combined one will have
  • Another such cue was how varying shading implied less or more region and how they are far better than varying color.

It was new for me in the sense that though I knew that document searching takes place on keyword frequency and distribution, this unique way of representing the same fact was new to me and helped in getting to know TileBars in details.

0 comments: