Monday, November 14, 2011

Leaders: Data Visualization Talks Online

Heer, Wattenberg, many others. 

Data Visualization Talks Online

Lately, I have been collecting links to videos of talks related to Data Visualization. I found multiple talks for some people and so have categorized them accordingly. I have also tried to provide some context to the individual/group.

I think the first TED talk by Hans Rosling (@hansrosling) got a lot of media attention and made people sit up and appreciate the power of ‘narrative visualization’. He almost make it look like a sport with him serving as the role of a commentator. The title on TED’s website for the talk is “the best stats you’ve ever seen“. I am not sure about that, but it is a very entertaining talk.

It was followed up by an interesting study by information visualization researchers George Robertson, Roland Fernandez, Danyel Fisher, Bongshin Lee and John Stasko in the Infovis 2008 paper titled “Effectiveness of Animation in Trend Visualization.” Here is an interesting excerpt from the abstract of the paper:

Results indicate that trend animation can be challenging to use even for presentations; while it is the fastest technique for presentation and participants find it enjoyable and exciting, it does lead to many participant errors. Animation is the least effective form for analysis; both static depictions of trends are significantly faster than animation, and the small multiples display is more accurate.

Hans Rosling was back again at TED 2007 with “New Insights on poverty” and has spoken many times since at TED.

13 comments:

seo said...

If u has some time please visit, I will see all-time your blog. Thanks. I will bookmark this blog because it has some important information. Welcome to PrivateCPR.com! Here at CPR Classes , CPR class nyc and CPR Class we believe the best approach to learning and understanding key concepts and applications is with the “hands on” real time approach with immediate remediation and feedback.

nateggrker said...

Excellent article, I know a few people who prefer freelance blogging to more traditional freelance writing jobs. It’s nice to hear one feedback and tips from someone who’s doing it.LongTieStore.com is your source for long ties, extra long ties. Only $20 each and free shipping. 100+ styles. We cater to tall men to help them find extra long neckties that fit.

nateggrker said...

Find the best pork chop recipes and tips for free. Find resources get your personal trainer certification - Learn how to become a personal trainer. Learn how to prepare a Chicken Parmesan Recipe - Baked Chicken Parmesan Easy & Quick Guide!

nateggrker said...

Welcome to Snappanel.com. Snappanel.com offers a full line of trade show displays, custom trade show displays, exhibit trade show displays and portable trade show displays and all kind of display show

Joy kumar saha SEO expert said...

Hello sir, I got you by Google search.

It helps me to know about this. You have been shown importance topic in your content. It will inspire me always. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog as I have Nostril Jewelry and Nose Rings that include Bioplast, Gem, nose ring, nose studs, belly button jewelry, Diamond, Logo or picture, Flexible, Birthstone, Gorilla Glass and micro for all types including both men and women - see the latest that has come on along with our best sellers

Thanks for this.

nateggrker said...

Hey, How are going on?

Very true, I only started discovering this a few years ago. It can show me a best way on this idea. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog. Talk to a professional Mortgage Broker Langley that will get you the best rates. We are serving people in Langley, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows etc.

Thanks for the great post

shamir88bds said...

Ah!!! At last I found what I was looking for Easy to use website builder software to build Ecommerce Website, Ecommerce Software and Shopping Cart Software and do it yourself website with FREE domain, hosting and ready made templates. Try FREE.
. Sometimes it takes so much effort to find even tiny useful piece of information. Nice post. Thanks

nateggrker said...

Hey, How are going on?

Useful tips here. It is very helpful for me because I can to know about these things. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog. Watch Justin Bieber Video and the latest Justin Bieber Video! Learn How to make iphone ringtones! Make iPhone Ringtones by yourself. Find out Tooth Pain Relief methods that work. Discover the best Wisdom Tooth Pain home remedies that are proven effective.

Thanks For Only You because Create That cute Article.

nateggrker said...

Hello sir, I got you by Google search.

This article will help everyone to know so much important information about of Sars Seamount . It is very alternative for people and helpful to anybody. You may know me by
Find the best Fried Pickles Recipe! Learn How to Make Fried Pickles and Deep Fried Pickles - All Easy & Quick recipes for you! Information about Pink Eye Symptoms - Home Remedies for the Symptoms of Pink Eye and Safe Pink Eye Treatment. Find baby coupons and Printable Baby Coupons! We update baby coupon codes regularly.

nateggrker said...

Hello sir, Are you ok? You have written a unique content.

Here has so alternative posting about of MIT Sailing | Hello World!. I like this article for the importance of it as I want to share Kingofaccessories.com offering a wide range of home theater accessories, including wall mounts, USB, DVR, hdmi cable, wall mount, network cable LCD WALL MOUNT, HDMI SWITCH SPLITTER, LED WALL MOUNT, COMPONENT CABLE, CCTV CAMERA, TV WALL MOUNT, WALL MOUNT and more.

Thank You Very Much For a Nice & Cool Article.

nateggrker said...

Hey, How are going on?

I feel so good to read your article of art assets with farseer?. Because here included so effective information. It may help me about related matter. I highly recommend it & like to share Welcome to Nupower.net. Learn About Solar, Wind & Ways to Plan Energy Tax Credits for 2011. Get Solar Panels Homes, solarsystem, solar energy advantages, self sufficient houses Magnetic Generator & ways to receive Energy Tax Credits 2011

Thank You Very Much For Create That Nice & Cool Article.

shamir88bds said...

It is very well information about. All people always want to know all about things that you have been described. It is very valuable & very nice posting! Connect to Electric is your best electrician contractors company to solve your electrical problems and troubleshooting. Connecttoelectric.com serves in great Los Angeles Electrician, Los Angeles Electrician, Los Angeles Electrician, Orange, Ventura, Riverside County area and offers residential, commercial, industrial, outdoor, installations, services and emergency service is available.

nateggrker said...

Hi Sir, You are really good writer.

Very true, I only started discovering this a few years ago. It can show me a best way on this idea. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog. The SAFEST and STRONGEST Numbing Cream | #1 Doctors Recommended Topical Anesthetic Numbing Cream for tattooing, injections, laser hair removal, dr numb, drnumb and numbing cream.. Buy online or Call 1-877-786-2001

Thanks for the great post