Friday, November 18, 2011

Reaction: Jigsaw: Supporting Investigative Analysis through Interactive Visualization

The first thing that stood out to me as I read this article is the authors' consideration of the cost to analyze documents and determine relationships. This also brought up the question of how will verification of the analysis be carried out? Finally, will this system be able to replace the process of manually forming a mental model of the information presented in the papers?

As I kept reading, I realized the Jigsaw system is a much more intuitive application than I imagined. Although limited to a multi-monitor set-up, it definitely has its practical uses in academic and professional settings. In my opinion, Jigsaw's graph view is the most useful out all the ones presented in the paper. It provides users with the simplest method of visualizing the relationships between the reports being analyzed. The other views seem more involved and would require the user to do further investigation, whereas the graph view could allow the user to retrieve a mental model with a quick glance.

0 comments: