Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reactions:Distributed Cognition as a Theoretical Framework for Information Visualization

This paper suggest use of distributed cognition as a theoretical framework for Information Visualization, as this field lack theories.I liked authors point where authors states that they are not claiming that DCog is better, instead they want to set it as theoretical framework to be build upon for future establishment of field.I understood from paper that Dcog is framework where data(or system) is represented in various interchangeable representations and help in cognition.As author has shown in scenario where jigsaw was used for various representation with other tools to increase cognition.
Paper also conveyed that interaction and propagation are important part of InfoViz. Also DCog state that's interactions are very important in creating internal representation which helps observable representation to get to solution.I like tower of Hanoi example showing how external and internal representations are coupled.In relation to InfoViz , I found authors argument interesting as well as true, that Infoviz is about insight,discovery and explanation not pictures(which I think makes cognition important to InfoViz).

0 comments: