Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reaction: Distributed Cognition as a Theoretical Framework for Information Visualization

This article seemed much more theoretical than the other two I read this week. This article focused on making a case for adopting the distributed cognition framework as an overall basic theory for information visualization. I think the article made some good points, especially about how the environment can effect cognition ability. There was not a tremendous amount of experimental back-up for the arguments, which was an issue they addressed.

As I was reading this article, I couldn't help but wonder if they were almost being too vague in what they were asking for. The first article I read this week (Graphical Perception) was almost too specific in what they were looking for from a cognitive theory, but this article seemed to swing the other way and seemed to attempt to be a little to all-encompassing. I couldn't help but wonder, as I was reading it, if there wasn't some kind of middle ground between the two extremes.

0 comments: