Monday, September 19, 2011

Reaction: Toward a deeper Understanding of the Role of Interaction in Information Visualization

The author starts off by describing the relationship between interaction and infoviz. He has given two definitions for interaction: “the communication between user and the system” and “Direct manipulation and instantaneous change”. Both these definitions simply mean how the user handles the system provided to him!

Then the author talks about different categories of interaction. The main question asked here is what the user wants to achieve through his interaction with the visualization. I think it’s very important to closely examine the needs of different users before deciding on the interaction styles of your infoviz. Here the author talks about seven different categories of interactions and all of them according to me are very important. The user should be able to select, explore-look for more, reconfigure, encode, abstract, filter and connect. I don’t think any of the interaction styles were new to me but having read about then will really help me in designing my own visualization as I will know what users generally look for when they deal with an infoviz.

0 comments: