Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reaction: Jigsaw: Supporting Investigative Analysis through Interactive Visualization

In this paper the author discusses a system for assessing large amount of information, The Jigsaw. The paper give a good deal of information about why to choose grouping method while visualizing data, and why not use any other methods like scatter plots etc. This method is mainly useful for analyzing large documents at a time.

The addition of visual perception to any document that I read helps me understand it better and helps me make sure that I haven't missed any important points that author wants to state. I strongly agree with the authors view point that reports are entities that are irreplaceable in business context. The author also gives the practical applications of this system which created a sense of direction in my mind while reading. More information about the different views in jigsaw should have been given.

I don't agree to the point that jigsaw alone will give the best visual perception. It should be blended with other techniques like list view etc to make a better perception. I always felt that visualizing helps a reader to store the content in his memory for a longer time. In terms of human computer interaction, I would say that visualizations maintain states in memory for a longer time than textual representation.

More technical information on the processing of the large document should have been give to make us better understand the process. As the efficiency of this model is highly dependent on those methods, information about them is a necessity for the reader to appreciate this. It would be interesting to see how information is shown when the size of jigsaw itself become huge. The sample space for the experiment is small which does not add fidelity to his conclusion. More information regarding the type of the input(the document) should have been given. Overall this paper substantiated my understanding of the role of visualization in the analyses of documents.

0 comments: