Saturday, September 17, 2011

Reaction:Toward a Deeper Understanding of the Role of Interaction in Information Visualization

In this paper author tried to stress on the fact that representation has overshadowed importance of interaction in Information Visualization Community.Author also conveyed that Interaction can overcome shortcomings of representation in InfoViz. I agree to this view of author as interaction can provide cues for cognition and overcome occlusion if used properly, there by enhancing overall experience and helping in reaching conclusions.

In paper author has further proposed seven categories of interaction techniques on basis on user intent.They are Select,Explore,Reconfigure,Encode,Abstract/Elaborate,Filter and Connect.I find section with details of each category important because it provided very clear description of categories and their examples.It is starting(initial) work toward interaction in InfoViz, however I liked author's work for being useful for naive users and also for drawing attention toward the interaction.

Ques:I got the perspective of interaction in static images.Still would like to know are there any papers for that and what could be done in interaction for static images ?

0 comments: